Friday, September 11, 2015

Gilmore MetroPark

Gilmore Metropark or Gilmore Ponds Preserve is an amazing park out in Butler County. I have spent countless hours walking around this park over the last three years. It is over 268 acres in size, and has numerous hiking trails. If you take the outside loop you end up with a 2.5 mile walk. All the trails are well maintained throughout the year. There are never many people at the park, which makes it very peaceful. You can literally come everyday and expect to see something new and interesting. Most times I bring my dogs with and they have an absolute blast. There is no leash law visible and it is not enforced. But as always be mindful. I always put my dogs back on the leash, when I see people. I also do not allow them to chase wildlife.


Talking of wildlife, this place is awesome. From the multitude of birds that call this place home, to the insects, rodents and reptiles that scuttle around, you will not be disappointed.
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has designated this park as one of its “Watchable Wildlife” viewing sites and Audubon Ohio has named it as an “Important Birding Area.”
 

The water that floods the area seasonally makes up for a lot of its character. The dogs of course love this during the summer months, and in winter they go ice skating on it.The park is accessible from two parking lots.

1: Off Symmes Rd and Bilstein Blvd 2: North Gilmore RdIf you like Google Map View you can walk through the park in 360 degrees from a set photo spheres I created.
As we move into fall, the flowers are giving there all out best, and the butterflies and bees are busy as ever.

Here a Monarch Butterfly Danaus plexippus one of America's most common butterflies sucks up nectar.

It is most probably picking up stores so that it is energized for the long migration to Mexico.
High Def Photo

For More go to Wiki





The numerous ponds abound with life and are a great place to reflect on life.
High Def Photo



This year the Cup Plant Silphium perfoliatum literally exploded. Wherever you look there are thick stands of these flowers. They stand almost 8 foot tall, and they get so heavy with flowers they bend over. They are found commonly near railway lines and disturbed areas like ditches and fences. What I have noticed is that our dogs occasionally chew on its leaves. With the power of Google and Wikipedia I discovered that the plant is well known for its ability to prevent prevent nausea and vomiting. Who knew?  High Def Photo


I always try to keep my eyes and ears open when I walk in the park. You never no what you might miss. Having the pups with me can sometimes be an advantage, and other times they chase everything away. I watch their behavior and more than a few times they have pointed out something interesting. I take an insanely large number of photographs. I find however that often you see stuff afterwards when you are processing the images that you could not see in the woods.

Have a look at this run of the mill Dandelion, at first glance nothing seems unusual. But if you look closely at the bottom of the white fluff balls, you will see a critter. High Def Photo

I am sad that the Dragonflies will be going soon. I have tried hard this year to capture them in flight, and yet again they have defeated me with their amazing airmanship. Thankfully they do land for short periods of time and allow me to capture them. High Def Photo
Last but not least, Aster got some quality time with his Dad at the park today. I went out on what was a pond a few weeks ago to look for interesting things to photograph. Aster decided to go in the opposite direction and we were separated for a short period of time. Due to my height I could see him crashing through the underbrush trying to find me and this photograph catches that moment when he got eyes on me. High Def Photo



If you would like to see any of these photographs in full resolution go over to my gallery to view them. http://www.leonherbert.com/Blog/Gilmore-Metropark/

If you have any questions, suggestions or just want to a comment please do, I appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate