Friday, September 11, 2015

Patriotism knows no boundaries

Patriotism has no boundaries.

Driving past the Army National Guard depot this afternoon I was reminded of the significance of this day. I remember it clearly. I was still living in South Africa and my wife to be was in Medical School in Charlottesville, Virginia. I heard of the event on the news and then tried to contact my wife on the telephone. Not surprisingly it was almost impossible to get through. And when I finally did I could still not get hold of her. I was very concerned about the situation and was not sure if she would be going to New York to assist. Later that day she did get hold of me, and told me that they would not be going there. 


First day home with Airis, we were both tired.
This event had a pivotal effect on my life. I had always thought about having a Search and Rescue K9 and this is what pushed me over the edge. After immigrating to the USA I started the process of getting a K9. Don't get me wrong, I had no intention of having an USAR K9. I was and always will be an outdoors type of person and consequently I got involved with Wilderness Search and Rescue. I joined CARDA in Davis, California. Shortly afterwards I acquired Airis a German Shepherd puppy and started training her for Search and Rescue. It is a very rewarding process training these dogs. For the first few years of her life Airis was by my side 24 hours a day. I have been involved in Search and Rescue in some shape or form ever since. I have photographed a large number of SAR and law enforcement K9's over the years at no cost, and these photographs can be viewed on my website. Http://herok9s.org 

I am now proudly an American citizen, and remain committed to this country I now call home. 

It is amazing to see how everyone still remains patriotic and this can be seen just driving around town.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate