Saturday, September 12, 2015

The International

 The International

I have driven past this fruit and vegetable stands numerous times over the years. Normally on my way to take the dogs for a walk or to train with them at Winton Woods Park.

On my way to Gilmore Metropark the other day I decided to stop and discover this jewel. 

I was met by Cheryl who was very nice and told me about the stand. The stand has been at or near this location for over 45 years. Her husband was 4years old when his father started the stand. The family had this stand and a Mom and Pop store in Mount Healthy. The store is located on the corner of Winton and Corbett Rd in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is well stocked with produce, which is mostly local. Cheryl tells me that some of the produce is grown by them. The also get a lot of organic produce from the Amish

What I found most fascinating was that the tomatoes are sourced from School kids who grow them during the summer. Apparently because of sport commitments they are unable to find summer jobs. Cheryl suggested to them that they should grow some vegetables as a way to make money. This is the fourth summer that they have provided the stand with tomatoes. Some clients come there just for those tomatoes and will not purchase any if they are not available. 

There is no sign visible that identifies the stand. I asked Cheryl if the stand has a name. Cheryl said yes it does but no-one else really knows that. It is called International, which makes sense when you see the 1953 International Harvester Metro R-120 parked in the middle of the stand. These trucks were used as dairy, bakery, ambulance and trash compacter vans just to name a few uses. Some were produced that allowed you to drive them while standing up. This enabled you to drive, stop and get in and out of the vehicle quickly. 

I did notice that this stand does brisk business. For the short period of time that I was there, numerous vehicles stopped to pick up produce. All the produce is reasonably priced, and most importantly fresh. Cheryl tells me that people will travel long distances to come and get her produce. She has clients that come from Butler County and further. She related a story of a girl who stopped at the stand and was taking photographs of the store (most probably selfies :) ). Cheryl approached her and the girl said her parents were no longer living in the area but still talked about the stand. As she happened to be visiting she wanted to get a photograph of the stand to send to her parents. 

So if you are ever in the area make sure to stop and say Hi to Cheryl, and purchase some of the yummy produce. I sure did, got myself a nice seedless watermelon. 

The store is open from 10 am - 8 pm, all week from Memorial day to Halloween.

If you want to see the rest of the photographs in high definition go to my album: http://www.leonherbert.com/Blog/International/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate